Tell me if you've ever had this problem: You think about starting THE PROJECT. You are SOOOO excited about THE PROJECT, it's all you can think about during the day and you plan it obsessively. You finally find the time to work on THE PROJECT and it's bliss! Things are coming together-- it's just like you planned. All of a sudden, you hear it. That Voice. The inner-critic, the Judge, the Grandma Voice, whatever you call it… It’s the creativity and dream killer. That voice makes you doubt what you’re doing, what you’re painting, singing, or writing. That Voice tells you that you’re not good enough. You don’t have a degree in said creative endeavor, so how can it be good. It’s a waste of time. You’ll never be any good. There are so many people out there who are better than you so why bother. It’s all shit and a waste of time. (okay, so my Inner Critic is particularly mean…)
I call my inner Critic/Judge/Meanie my “Grandma Voice.” Don’t get me wrong— I LOVE my grandma very very much. She wasn’t always… what’s the word…encouraging... about my creative endeavors growing up. (She wasn’t encouraging about anyone's creative endeavors.) She grew up very very poor during the depression. I get it. Art and creative things were a luxury not many people, and certainly not her family, were able to do. She struggled, she was a single mom of three kids and times were really bad. So when I would draw or do other creative stuffs and show her, I often heard “it’s shit” and “it’s a waste of time.” (My mom, who is quite the creative rock star, unfortunately also has the Grandma Voice…)
So when I’m working on THE PROJECT(s) and I’m filled with doubt (and let’s face it, a little bit of fear) and I hear my Grandma Voice, I not only turn to G and very good friends who are kind enough to give me pep talks, but I have this great little playlist of 10 songs that helps tell my Grandma Voice to F off.
I hope you give them a listen and that maybe they will help quell your inner meanie.
1. Whatever it is (Ben Lee) “Just do it, whatever it is…” (I listen to this song over and over and over again…)
2. Brave (Sarah Barielles) "But I wonder what would happen if you Say what you wanna say And let the words fall out"
3. Firework (Katie Perry) "You don't have to feel Like a waste of space You're original Cannot be replaced” (I know, a little cliche, but I love it! )
4. All About the Bass (Meghan Trainor) "Yeah, my momma she told me don't worry about your size She says, boys they like a little more booty to hold at night” (AMEN, sister!)
5. Good Life (One Republic) “ 'Cause hopelessly The hope is we have so much to feel good about"
6. Bulletproof (La Roux) “This time baby I’ll be Bulletproof”
7. Unwritten (Natasha Bedingfield) "Today is where your book begins The rest is still unwritten"
8. Roar (Katie Perry) "So I sat quietly, agreed politely I guess that I forgot I had a choice” (because GRRRRL power)
9. Titanium (David Guetta) "I'm criticized but all your bullets ricochet You shoot me down, but I get up"
10. Defying Gravity (Idina Menzel) "I'm through accepting limits 'cause someone says they're so”
Do you have any songs that you listen to that help quiet the inner critic/meanie? Share them in the comments section below!